Background

Sunday, July 10, 2011

Listography 2


List Your Favorite Childhood Toys
            Sleepy
                        I have a doll named Sleepy that my mom’s friend gave to me at my baby shower. I named her Sleepy because back before her face rubbed off, she had her eyes closed. I’m super creative. I doubt anyone realizes this, but it is incredibly hard to find a soft body doll without a hard plastic face these days. So she’s a rarity. And I still love her a ton.

            Barbie
                        Unfortunately, I was super into Barbie. Not so much playing with her, but brushing her hair and putting together cool outfits. I would spend hours and hours picking out outfits and never once create any sort of storyline. Also, I was a pretty spoiled kid and had a ton of outfits to dig through.

            Car
                        Art and I used to have matching pedal cars and they were freaking badass.
           
            Cartoon
                        Cartoon was my ride on horse. Art named her, because it was his before I was born and when I came along they got him a bigger one. Its name was Buckaroo. They were those horse things that are suspended on a metal frame with springs and you would ride them by bouncing up and down. Cartoon was pretty cool.

List the People You Have Lived With
            Family
                        This one is obvious. I’ve only ever really lived at home with my parents and my brother. Which isn’t exciting, so I’ll add…

            Danica’s Family
                        When we went to Europe with choir, I went off with Danica, Grady and JSpence to Prague and Paris. We traveled together for two weeks, and it was quite a lovely time overall. For the most part I loved being on my own in terms of not having my family with me, but having a sort of second family so I didn’t get lonely. That being said, I did cry one night on the phone with my mom in Paris because they were all having dinner together as a family and my family wasn’t around. I got pretty homesick once we got to Paris.

List Your Favorite Books
            Harry Potter
                        I think I only know of one person who does not LOVE this series. Because it is fucking awesome. I thought I was too cool for it back when I was a kid. I only started reading them because I was going on a road trip and needed some books, so I picked up a copy of the Philosopher’s Stone at a thrift store. Within a month I had read the 5 that had come out up until that point. These books will never get old.

            Half of a Yellow Sun
                        This is a book that I just read this summer. Danica recommended it to me after she read it in a Lit course. I think her words were something to the effect of “You like books about Africa” (truths). This book is so well crafted, and interesting, and complex and beautiful. I really really loved reading it. I am still upset that my favorite character likely dies at the last minute. But still. Very very good.

            A Long Way Gone
                        This is the autobiography of Ishmael Beah, a man who was recruited as a child soldier in the civil war in Sierra Leone. He is an excellent storyteller. He is compelling, and thoughtful, and I enjoyed his prose overall. I liked it so much that I bought this book on CD and I listen to it in the car sometimes. If my interest in global development can be traced to a single catalyst, this would be it.

List Your Best Purchases
            Memory foam mattress pad and pillows
                        If there is one thing I love more than anything, it is sleeping. I used to have a ton of sleeping issues because my mattress is too firm for my tastes. That is no longer a problem. Memory foam sleep accessories have changed my life. Sleeping is so delightful now, it’s become a problem to wake up on time. These purchases wiped away my flawless internal clock.

            iPod
                        I did not own an iPod in high school. I had a discman and I thought that was just fine. I spent one week transiting to school in first year. One week on the 321 before promptly buying Fred Weasley.

            MacBook
                        Again, didn’t have a laptop right away. Thought I was fine writing all of my university papers on my parent’s shit PC. Now I cannot imagine how I lasted an entire year on that thing. It’s about ready to implode.
           
            Lululemon leggings
                        I am considering these an investment. I have been looking for new ¾ leggings for months, as my old pair began to disintegrate. In the past, I have bought new leggings every few months because I wear them out so fast. These fit perfectly, are short AND can be tucked into higher boots, and are super comfortable and look great. And I figure I won’t need to buy shit leggings every 2 months now.
           
            Truck
                        Love love love love owning my own vehicle.

            Best of the Red Hot Chili Peppers
                        This was $7 at Costco. Best ever, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment